Binded Technical File

My binded technical file includes the majority of the samples I have made during my experimentation since we started this project.

  • The first sample is a digital stitch on sand coloured Linen that I have experimented with for a potential upholstery piece, however the fabric resulted to be too raw therefore not in line for my target market so I decided to keep as a second best outcome. Furthermore the design has been further manipulated on Photoshop for a more apropiate outcome that have become my main Animal design that I am very happy about. It represents detail, sketching skills and the goth feel that is my style signature.
  • I definitely wanted to integrate some digital stitch in my collection but I wanted it to be simple in order for me to use it as blenders because the collection is already rich in both colour and motifs. This sample however resulted to be simplistic and unfinished.
  • I refined the aesthetics of the digital stitch samples by using a simpler motif but in a more effective way. I wanted to give a simple but complex and sophisticated look and also a tactile feel to it. I therefore used wadding in between 2 layers of fabrics (beige linen on top and calico on the bottom), hooked it and stitched on my sandwiched fabrics to understand if the process would work and see the final look. I did two experiments, one with just one layer of wadding and another with two layers. It was a success and loved the outcome. I then used the 2 layered technique for my simplest final pattern with red on petrol green linen, and the one layered wadding on the more complex pattern that I printed with red on blue velvet.
  • I have experimented with laser engraving that I was very happy about, however the choice of the right fabric for a more appropriate outcome would require further research and experimentation that I chose to leave aside in favor of the main outcomes I had to focus on.
  • Laser Cutting is one of the workshops I have enjoyed the most and the engraved Mdf Ibis is a result of that. Sarah Barker also loved it however, to fit in my collection it would have required further refinement that I didn’t have time for so I decided not to use it in my collection.
  • I have also printed some initial samples of my first designs with fashion formula, to see how colors would result on different fabrics. I also printed my colour palette as a 20×20 sample on organic cotton, as well as my main animal design . The fabric in this case resulted not to be appropriate for my collection because of its intrinsic beige/yellow base. The same in regard for my colour palette that resulted to be to dull, so I decided not to use it in my collection. The moleskine fabric chosen for my Ibis leaves
    seemed very interesting , but what initially seemed beautiful and high end resulted to be dull and having a cheap feel. I wasn’t happy about the silky satin or the faux satin either because the colours resulted to dull. I am very happy I printed them in time to be able to have a comparison and make an appropriate decision for the final samples. In the end I opted for silk, velvet (short pile and marbled), linen, vegan leather (leatherette), fashion satin and interior satin that I have placed on the same page with my printed colour palette.
  • I reprinted the Ibis leaves main on a beautiful high end and very expensive short pile velvet together with a secondary design from my turtle sponge. Unfortunately it didn’t look close to what I expected, the colours were dull and the scale of the design too small. Therefore the sample ended up in the technical file. However the yellow secondary sponge was more beautiful than expected and it will be exposed on the rail as part of the collection. Since I have ordered them before starting the second term I had the time to reorder my main ibis leaves on marbled velvet and it looks just perfect.
  • I also integrated in my sample book the digital designs of my collection that I have printed on silk paper and didn’t showcase on the rail. I printed my whole collection on paper in case something would go wrong with the fabric samples. In fact it did go wrong when it came to print my scarf and dress, there was a damage to my fabric that fortunately was just partial and didn’t affect the final product outcomes that I wanted to exhibit in my show: the scarf and dress.
  • The technical file also contains my colour ways printed on silk touch paper:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s